At Vantage College, we work to help make your transition into the classroom and into a civilian career simple and easy. Our experienced academic advisors and financial aid officers can answer your questions about using the current GI Bills, transfering credits from previous military training, and helping you get started in one of our programs.

We make it easy for veterans to:

  • Use Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits
  • Maximize transfer of prior credits
  • Receive credit for approved military and corporate training
  • Meet with military academic and financial aid advisors
  • Receive affordable and flexible career training



Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill-Active Duty The G.I. Bill may be the most common VA education program. There are four eligibility categories, with the most common being those inspaniduals who 1) entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985 and 2) contributed $100.00 a month for 12 months and have an honorable discharge.   For more information, visit:     Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation To qualify for this benefit the service member must have a service-connected disability. For more information regarding this benefit and the application process, contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-800-827-1000 or visit     Chapter 33: Post- 9/11 G.I. Bill The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to inspaniduals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or inspaniduals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.   Post- 9/11 G.I. Bill Benefits  Under this Chapter, effective August 1, 2009, eligible participants (veterans, service members and dependents) pursuing a VA approved training program may receive the following benefits at a percentage based on the length of active duty service: • For those attending a private school, maximum payment toward tuition & fees up to $17,500 per academic year for the 2011 academic year and $18,077.50 for the 2012 academic year (effective August 1, 2012). More Information. If an inspanidual's tuition and fees exceed this maximum amount, additional funding may be available for eligible students through a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill called the Yellow Ribbon Program. (see below)   • For those attending classes at the greater than ½ time rate (10 hours or more, per week), a monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. For those enrolled solely in distance learning the housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents ($673.44 for the 2011 academic year & $684.00 for the 2012 academic year). The academic year begins on August 1. (Active duty students & their spouses cannot receive the MHA.)    • An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.   • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible inspaniduals.   *This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.   For more information, visit:     Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program The program is for: 1) Dependents or spouses of veterans who have died or are totally and permanently disabled as the result of a service connected disability or died while evaluated as having a total and permanent disability, or 2) Dependents or spouse of a person who is listed as a POW or MIA.   For more information, visit:     Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill- Selected Reserve This program is for active members of components of the Selected Reserve and National Guard. Eligible participants require: 1) Enlistment or reenlistment in the selected reserve with an obligation to serve for a period of not less than 6 years following enlistment on or after July 1, 1985, 2) Completion of secondary school diploma requirements, or 3) Completion of IDAT (initial date active training).   For more information, visit:>     Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.   For more information, visit:     USING VA EDUCATION BENEFITS @ VANTAGE COLLEGE Using your VA education benefits with us is simple; just bring your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) to your campus Certifying VA Official. If you have already applied to use your benefits,you may also bring in your Certificate of Eligibility (form 22-0557). Your Certifying VA Official will help you fill out all of the necessary applications and forms to get started. For more information about how to use your GI Bill education benefits, call us at 1-800-778-EXCEL, or by email at


  1. First time users of VA benefits: Visit and apply online. You can also download VA form 22-1990 from that site and mail it to the VA. (Tip: Enter form number 22-1990 in the VA Web site's search box to find it.)
  2. Previous users VA benefits: You may need to download VA form 22-1995 at and mail it to the VA. (Tip: Enter form number 22-1995 in the VA Web site's search box to find it.)
  3. You must send us your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or DD 214 by fax (915-242-0011) or email to the attention of Certifying VA Official. Note: A COE is required but, if you are still waiting for your COE from the Veterans Administration, you can submit your unofficial DD 214 just to get started.
  4. We will email step-by-step enrollment instructions to you approximately 24-48 hours after your COE or DD 214 is received and scanned by our Military Admissions Department.
  1. To apply for Voc Rehab, fill out form 28-1900 or visit and apply online using the VONAPP process. To contact the VA in regard to Chapter 31 call toll free 1-800-827-1000, ext 7900.
  2. Contact your Voc Rehab counselor and you will be provided a completed VA form 28-1905, which is valid for the period designated by the Voc Rehab counselor for Vantage College.

Jerry Martin is the Senior Certifying VA Official for Vantage College; his contact information is or 1-800-778-3923.

While we encourage active military and veterans attending Excel to contact us by phone or email with any questions pertaining to the processing of VA educational benefits while attending Vantage, specific questions about eligibility for VA benefits should be addressed to the VA. 

Vantage does not determine a veteran's eligibility for benefits. We will assist in the completion of applications and communication of veteran student enrollment to the VA for the purposes of certification and receipt of benefits. For more information regarding inspanidual eligibility for any of the educational benefits listed below, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs Regional Processing Center at 1-800-827-1000 or visit the VA website at


Getting Started Use our website as a resource as you begin the process of expanding your education. Use the links at the bottom of this page to learn more about applying for and receiving federal benefits, like the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The following questions and answers are included to help you navigate your journey: For additional information, visit:   Q: Will I get credit for training I had in the military?  

A: Each applicant's educational past is compared to the course offerings at Vantage College. If a course we offer corresponds with the training you received, then you will be awarded credit in most cases. Contact your local Vantage Certifying VA Official for more information.

  Q: How do I apply to receive education benefits?   A: Use the links below to learn about the education benefits you've earned. Start with the first one and move down the list. Each link will open a pop-up window, so when you get finished just close the window and move on to the next one. • VA Education Homepage - Learn everything you need to know about your benefits and how to use them.  • VA Education Benefits - Learn more about your education benefits.  • VA Education Benefit User Guide - Use this guide to help you navigate the benefit application process and to learn how to use your benefit wisely.    Q: Am I eligible to receive the GI Bill?   A: To find out if you are eligible for the GI Bill you may call 1-888-GIBILL-1(1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.   Q: I am eligible for the GI Bill. What do I do next?   A: If you are eligible for the GI Bill, use VONAPP to file your application for benefits. With VONAPP you can: 

• Apply for VA compensation, pension, education, vocational rehabilitation and employment, and burial benefits. 

• Report the status of dependents, file a claim for increase in your service connected disability(ies), a new disability(ies), an ancillary benefit, entitlement to statutory benefits such as special monthly compensation, and entitlement to special monthly pension. 

To file for education benefits, veterans, service members, reservists, and spouses/dependents of a "service connected" disabled or deceased veteran may use VONAPP. If the benefit you're applying for isn't listed as an option on the VONAPP form (REAP chapter 1607 for example) check unsure for the benefit type and use the remarks section of the application to indicate which benefit you wish to apply for.   Q: I am currently getting funding from the GI Bill. Can I also receive financial aid at the same time?   A: You may apply for financial aid while receiving GI BIll benefits. To apply for grants and loans visit the FAFSA website at   Q: I have been attending class for two months, why haven't I received any money?   A: If at any time you think you are not receiving the proper amount of money or you find you are not receiving any money at all contact us immediately so that we may research the issue for you.   Q: I applied for the GI Bill and have started taking classes. How and when should I expect my first payment?   A: Usually the VA pays every month for the previous month attended and usually students choose what type of payment (either check or automatic deposit) they want during the application process. Expect a payment by the middle of the month.   Q: Can I apply for the GI Bill as a non-degree seeking student?  

A: All persons using the GI Bill educational benefits must be degree/certificate seeking. Vantagehas degree, diploma and certificate programs approved for these benefits, in the areas of Healthcare, Business Management and IT – Information Technology. For questions, email the Military Admissions Office

  Q: I'm still Active Duty but I will be getting out soon. How soon should I start applying for my GI Bill benefits?   A: It is okay to apply early however we recommend that you wait to use your benefits until you separate from the military.   Q: Is there a certain number of credits that I need to take each term in order to receive my GI Bill benefits?   A: There is no minimum requirement for the number of classes you take; however, the amount of funding you receive does depend on how many classes you take.   Q: How do I apply to Vantage College?   A: The application process is simple and straightforward. For more information about how to use your military education benefits, visit the school Military Education Office, or call / email your Vantage Certifying VA Official: Jerry Martin at 1-800-778-3923 /


A. Chapter 30: Montgomery GI BILL – Active Duty   B. Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess   C. Chapter 32: VEAP AND SECTION 903   D. Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI BILL Educational Assistance Act of 2008   E. Transferability of Chapter 33 (9/11 benefits)   F. Post-9/11 GI Bill: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship   G. Chapter 35: Dependents Educational Assistance Program(DEA)   H. Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI BILL - Selectec Reserve   I. Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)   J. Montgomery GI BILL - Active Duty TATU (Tuition Assistance Top-up)